Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Probably six or seven years ago, not long after the death of Rich Mullins, my mom bought for me a copy of his biography, An Arrow Pointing to Heaven, which, I believe, was written by Brendan Manning. In the book, the author didn't elaborate, but made mention that Rich Mullins had recently converted or was in the process of converting to Catholicism shortly before his death. I was a little surprised at this, and also remembered hearing that Michael Card, who became a Christian during the Jesus Movement, became a part of a monastery almost immediately after turning to faith in Christ. Although my dad always taught me that salvation is based on each individual's decision for Christ rather than his or her church affiliation, I grew up well aware of the cult brand placed on the Catholic Church by most protestants. This post isn't really about Catholicism, but I do want to write down some of my thoughts as I've recently found myself rethinking Protestantism's nearly condemning stance against the liturgical methods that have defined the catholic faith. Before I get grilled like a $2 steak for being inclusive of all religions - which I am not! - let me explain.

I understand perfectly well the problematic beliefs from which Martin Luther revolted, and being as protestant as the next guy, greatly appreciate what he and his fellow Christians accomplished. (If you haven't seen the movie Luther, go to the movie store and rent a copy)! However, I think some of the practices we have written off as pointless acts of religion have been unfairly labeled and should be given more consideration as legitimate elements of faith - sort of. I'm not extremely well versed in my understanding of the historical practices, and probably couldn't name more than a couple. I do, though, know the stigma placed upon them, and think, while many of the practices may be outdated and irrelevant to our generation, we should think more carefully about the purposes behind the practices and be careful not to loose focus of the goal they were designed to lead us to.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that, just as we protestants have accused Catholicism of being a religion based on actions rather than an ongoing relationship with Jesus, we have made Protestantism the same. The problem with the liturgical practices is that they became the important things themselves rather than the paths to get to the important things. (Again, I'm speaking of the practices themselves, not the deliberate corruption of the practices to get money and sex, etc.). I am afraid protestants have done the same. Liturgical practices were not originally intended to become items on a religions checklist, but rather methods of teaching their practitioners to identify with Christ and helping them follow through. They were designed to help new believers learn to separate themselves from the predominant culture, passionately share in the lives of other followers, and give of themselves on behalf of Christ, just as He gave of Himself for us. Whether we realize it or not, these are goals of protestant practices such as general standards of morality, small groups, Sunday schools, accountability groups, and mission trips. However, while these practices may seem more modern and relevant, they are often just as easily demoted to religious acts rather than methods that identify us with Christ.

Regardless how fresh and new a practice may seem, when it becomes the end itself instead of the means to a greater end, it becomes relatively pointless. Our ultimate call as Christians is not to attend worship, participate in a small group, or occasion a trip to build a house. Our call is to loose ourselves in Christ, and what we do should be done to help us get there, not to make us feel good about what we have accomplished. In other words, Protestantism is no better than Catholicism if its practices become ends rather than means to the end. We are fond of saying that Christianity is not religion but a relationship, but we need to understand that it is only a relationship when we relate ourselves to Christ. If I find myself aware of God's presence and in communion with Him by meditating quietly in a cathedral filled with candles, that is just what I should do. Human practices, though well-intended, are still human, and there will be humans who disagree. Still, if the purpose and motives are acceptable to God, His Spirit will bring results regardless of how ill-conceived the practices may seem to others.

I realize this is perhaps too large a topic for a blog, and may be discussed and debated to great extent, so let me conclude by trying to state my point in one statement. No matter how protestant or emergent or cutting edge or relation-based we claim to be, for our faith to be legitimate and effective, we must be sure that everything we do is motivated by a desire to be identified with Christ and nothing more or less. Let everything we do be done that we may know and experience the life-altering power of his resurrection, seeking not to make Christ a part of our lives, but to make our lives a part of Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home