Friday, February 23, 2007

I made a passing observation this morning while reading through Proverbs, one that I find interesting in light of some of the accusations against Christianity I've read lately. On several occasions, I've heard critics of Christianity claim as one of their arguments that the Bible is pointedly suppressive of women. These critics like to take passages that refer to the God-designed role of women as virtuous helpers and completer of their husbands out of context, (often quoting the already difficult to understand King James language), and twist them to support their preconceived opinions that Christianity is about suppressing and abusing women. Apparently the faith is only acceptable to unrefined, backwoods simpletons who think women are meant to be kept at home, pregnant and barefoot.

While I will admit what I am about to write is not the end-all point to convince everyone this accusation is pathetic, I've never heard or read any critic who considered this observation. What I am referring to is the Proverbs' use of the feminine to personify Wisdom. That's right - the very book that supposedly teaches Christians that women are nothing more than slaves with benefits uses the feminine to bring to life the greatest object of pursuit. Starting as early as chapter 1, we read of Lady Wisdom calling out to all who can hear, begging them to take advantage of the wonderful and purposeful life only she can give. We read that she was the first brought into existence by God, present when He founded the universe. Through her we can understand the meaning of life, and how to make life count. She repeatedly calls out that she is freely available to all who will seek her. What's the catch? Start with God. It all starts with recognizing God, and submitting to the right relationship with Him. Unfortunately, too many are unwilling to accept these terms, and instead, look in all the wrong places for wisdom. As a result, lives are ruined, while Lady Wisdom continues to call out,
"Simpletons! How long will you wallow in ignorance?
Cynics! How long will you feed your cynicism?
Idiots! How long will you refuse to learn?
About face! I can revise your life. Look, I'm ready to pour out my spirit on you;
I'm ready to tell you all I know. As it is, I've called, but you've turned a deaf ear;
I've reached out to you, but you've ignored me."
Proverbs 1:22-24 (The Message).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home